issues running mysql, mysql5?

Rainer Müller raimue at codingfarm.de
Sat Mar 31 16:12:14 PDT 2007

[resending because I accidentally used an unsubscribed address]

Chris Drackett wrote:
> I have installed mysql and mysql5 using macports..

Why did you install both mysql and mysql5? The port named "mysql" is the
old 3.23.x branch and "mysql5" is the newest 5.0.x branch. So I think
you only wanted to install the latter.

> I used to have it installed pre-macports, but that install didn't
> seem to work with the things (like python) that I recently installed
> via macports. Here is the message I am getting when I try to run
> mysql5 (which i assume is the same as mysql?)

No, definitely not. The binaries got the version number as postfix to
make them distinguishable.
The mysql5 binary is the *client*. In order to access the server, you
have to start it before.
Use
    /opt/local/share/mysql5/mysql/mysql.server start
to get it running. Now you can use the client to access it.
How to stop it again should be trivial ;-)

HTH, Rainer