Error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 3 00:43:12 PDT 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 10:19, Mervyn wrote:

> I was using Macports and trying to install Wireshark and
> Metasploit2. I get this error message.
> --->  Configuring perl5.8
> First let's make sure your kit is complete.  Checking...
> Would you like to see the instructions? [n]
> Locating common programs...
> I can't find make or gmake, and my life depends on it.
> Go find a public domain implementation or fix your PATH setting!
> Warning: the following items did not execute (for perl5.8 ):
> com.apple.activate com.apple.configure com.apple.build
> com.apple.destroot com.apple.install

Is this the first port you've tried to install? It says it can't find
make, which is provided by Xcode and is required to build any port
with MacPorts. Have you installed Xcode 2.4.1? If not, you'll need to
do that; get it from the Apple Developer Connection:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/