New guy - imapsync port problem/query - p5-net-ssleay

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Fri May 4 00:12:37 PDT 2007

Hi Erik,

On 03/05/2007, at 14:43, Erik Likvarn wrote:

> Also think the error message for a serious problem like a required
> module being missing such as this should generate an error.
> Personally I don't think I should have turn on "verbose" to see a
> critical error like that.

I'm firmly of the opinion that this is really a problem that the
upstream maintainer should address, because package systems intend
for installations to be completely automated, hiding output that the
ordinary user doesn't need, and to quit with information about errors
if one occurs so that work can be done to fix it and make it
automatic again.  This is exactly what MacPorts, and every other
package system that I know of, does.

As you say, the user shouldn't be forced to run the package system in
a verbose or debug mode to get error messages, but the point is that,
to do so in this case, the package system would be forced to _guess_
that there is an error of waiting for user input, and I don't know of
any way in which this can be done with neither false positives nor
negatives.

Instead, the package itself should say that there's an error and
stop.  Someone installing it themselves might want to have user
interaction, of course, but that shouldn't be the only way to do it.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)