PkgConfig checksum failure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 6 19:46:15 PDT 2007

On May 6, 2007, at 18:16, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> On 5/6/07, Travis La Marr wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to get Pkgconfig to intall. Keeps telling me unable to
>> verify checksums. I've done 'port clean --all pkgconfig' a few times
>> now and retried thinking it was a bad download. Here's the og of what
>> I get when I try to install pkgconfig
>>

>> laptop:~ travis$ sudo port install pkgconfig
>> --->  Fetching pkgconfig
>> --->  Attempting to fetch pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz from http://
>> pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/
>> --->  Attempting to fetch pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz from http://
>> distfiles-od.opendarwin.org/pkgconfig
>> --->  Attempting to fetch pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz from http://
>> distfiles-msn.opendarwin.org/pkgconfig
>> --->  Attempting to fetch pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz from http://
>> distfiles-od.opendarwin.org/
>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for pkgconfig
>> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
>> Error: Checksum (sha1) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
>> Error: Checksum (rmd160) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
>> Error: Target com.apple.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
>> checksums
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>> laptop:~ travis$
>
> I had the same problem which I solved by downloading the tar.gz from
> the freedesktop site and then copying it into
> /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/pkgconfig
>
> Hope it works for you too.
>
> -bakki
>
> PS: You can verify that the downloaded file is good just by doing a
> tar xvzf which used to fail on the bad checksum file. I am not sure if
> there is a md5 file there. If so then you can use md5 to check it too.

pkg-config is only hosted on pkgconfig.freedesktop.org. The fact that
it couldn't download it from there, and tried to download it from
various opendarwin.org sites where it is not located, indicates there
is a problem with the pkg-config web site. I cannot reach it right
now in a browser. I just sent another mail to the list about a
similar problem with the fontconfig web site. I think they may be
hosted on the same server.

Until the problem is resolved, I have placed the pkg-
config-0.21.tar.gz archive on my web site, and you can download it to
the right place by copying these 4 commands into the Terminal:

cd /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles
sudo mkdir -p pkgconfig
cd pkgconfig
sudo curl -O http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz

MacPorts should now be able to find it and continue with the install.

Once it seems that the problem with the pkg-config web site is
resolved, I will remove the archive from my web site.