multiple versions of a package?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue May 8 06:38:36 PDT 2007

On May 8, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Gábor Farkas wrote:
> omoikane:~ gabor$ sudo port uninstall subversion @1.4.2_0
> --->  Unable to uninstall subversion 1.4.2_0, the following ports
> depend on it:
> --->    subversion-perlbindings

You need to use -f to force port to do this.

> 1. why do i have multiple versions of 'subversion' installed? when
> i do 'port upgrade subversion', i assumed it installs the new
> version and removes the old one... is that so?

Nope. Unless you pass the -u option (uninstall non-active ports when
upgrading and uninstalling) to port, it will just 'deactivate' the
old version (so you can quickly switch back and forth between versions).

> 2. from the messages above, on what does 'subversion-perlbindings'
> depend exactly? on a specific version of 'subversion'? or simply on
> 'subversion' as a package?

The dependency tracking isn't extremely smart, so it just knows that
the subversions-perlbindings package needs a subversion package
installed and will complain if you try to uninstall any of them (you
can force port to ignore this with -f and prevent it in the future
with -u).

--
Daniel J. Luke