Trouble installing ncurses

Paul Butcher paul at 82ask.com
Tue May 8 08:12:35 PDT 2007

Oops - first apology necessary for the lack of a subject in my
earlier mail. Blush.

Sorry guys - I normally think more carefully before I hit "send"!

On 8 May 2007, at 16:10, Paul Butcher wrote:
> I'm relatively new to Macs, so please forgive me if I'm doing
> something stupid. I'm having problems installing ncurses with
> MacPorts. I get the following:
>
>> paul-butchers-computer:~ paul$ sudo port install ncurses
>> --->  Staging ncurses into destroot
>> Error: Target com.apple.destroot returned: no such file or directory
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>
> port -dv gives me *lots* of output, but the last bit reads:
>
>> DEBUG: Executing proc-post-com.apple.destroot-destroot-0
>> DEBUG: delete: /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
>> _dports_devel_ncurses/work/destroot/opt/local/share /opt/local/var/
>> db/dports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
>> _dports_devel_ncurses/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/terminfo
>> Error: Target com.apple.destroot returned: no such file or directory
>> Warning: the following items did not execute (for ncurses):
>> com.apple.activate com.apple.destroot com.apple.install
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>
> I've tried doing a "port clean --all ncurses", but I get exactly
> the same thing afterwards.
>
> I'd be very grateful for any pointers to what I'm doing wrong, or
> how to debug further.
>
> Many thanks.

Paul Butcher
CTO
82ASK
Mobile: +44 (0) 7740 857648
Main: +44 (0) 1223 309080
Fax: +44(0) 1223 309082
Email: paul at 82ask.com
MSN: paul at paulbutcher.com
AIM: paulrabutcher
Skype: paulrabutcher
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulbutcher

Re5ult Limited Registered in England No 04909795 VAT registration number
GB 849 201 231. Registered office 22 Great James Street Londong WC1N 3ES

This email is confidential. It may be read, copied and used only by the
intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please contact us
immediately.