problems with port that use ruby gem to install.

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Tue May 8 17:58:57 PDT 2007

Hi,

On 04/05/2007, at 12:22, Kenneth Rogers wrote:

> It started with rb-activesupport, but seems to happen with every port
> that I have in ruby/ that uses gem as an installer.
> $ sudo port -v install rb-activesupport
> --->  Staging rb-activesupport into destroot
>
> <snip />
>
> Error: Target com.apple.destroot returned: shell command
> "/opt/local/bin/gem install --local --force --install-dir
> /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dports_ruby_rb-activesupport/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
> /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/ruby/activesupport-1.3.1" returned
> error 1
> Command output:
> /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- sources (LoadError)
>        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:27:in
> `require'
>        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> source_info_cache.rb:6
>        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require'
>        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:27:in
> `require'
>        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> remote_installer.rb:12
>        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require'
>        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:27:in
> `require'
>        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:112:in
> `manage_gems'
>        from /opt/local/bin/gem:10
>
> Warning: the following items did not execute (for rb-activesupport):
> com.apple.activate com.apple.destroot com.apple.install
>

> trying to use /opt/local/bin/gem myself give similar errors.

A ticket has been filed for this [1], but neither the maintainer of
rb-rubygems nor anybody else has responded to it.  I haven't been
able to reproduce this error, and I don't really have an idea about
what could have caused it.  Would you be able to provide the
following information?

  * Operating System;
  * Version of MacPorts installed;
  * Version of rb-rubygems installed;
  * If you can remember, whether you installed your current version
of rb-rubygems via an upgrade or from scratch; and
  * List of other ruby-related ports you have installed ("port echo
installed and category:ruby" should do the trick).

I can't promise that I'll be able to help figure out what's going on,
but we might get lucky.  I'll add any responders to this to the
ticket, and any appropriate information, to the ticket so that others
can see it in context.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/11751