error building python24 on mac os x

Stuart Robertson s.glendinning.robertson at googlemail.com
Thu May 10 12:28:39 PDT 2007

I want to install either rdiff or unison or duplicity in order to
have incremental off-site backups. Each of these ports fails when
python24 fails to build with the following error message at the mac
os x command line:

Warning: the following items did not execute (for python24):
com.apple.activate com.apple.build com.apple.destroot com.apple.install
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: python24

Above this message are approx. 220 lines which mostly include 'Python/
mactoolboxglue.c:456: warning: return makes integer from pointer
without a cast'. I'm guessing that the problem is something to do
with the commands used when trying to build python24 but I've too
little understanding of unix, the command line, python and compilers
to make sense of the appropriate lines. The first two lines of output
concerning python are:

--->  Building python24 with target all
/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -c -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-
precomp -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -
O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I/opt/local/include -I. -I./Include  -
DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Python/mactoolboxglue.o Python/mactoolboxglue.c

I've googled to no avail and consulted the list archives for a solution.

Any help appreciated,

Stuart

Imac G5
mac os x 10.4.9