scripting environments (was: /bin/date and coreutils)

Jochen Küpper jochen at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Thu May 10 15:27:54 PDT 2007

On 10.05.2007, at 23:56, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> And Python isn't installed everywhere.

Well, that's not my experience. It's even on all number crunchers and
big iron machines I have used over the last years, as scheduling/
batch systems also use it;)
And it's a fabulous matlab replacement for data extraction. Anyway, I
guess this is getting off-topic.

> The system version is used, and this is not necessarily a problem,
> except if some modules only present in MacPorts are used.

That's the real point - you are in principle back to the same point
as with shell scripts - unless you use only the basic stuff. If you
do that in a shell-script (using only basic stuff), you are as safe,
because /bin/bash and /bin/tcsh are "always" there...

Greetings,
Jochen
--
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit                http://www.Jochen-