Call for MacPorts documentation/site effort

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Thu May 10 16:15:22 PDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 3:43 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> If there isn't, there should really be a Wiki page with all
>> Portfile variables. Just the names would already be helpful,
>> although it should obviously contain an explanation in the end.
>
> The documentation used to have that, or at least most of the useful
> variables. We currently have no documentation, however.

I know all of us would love to see better documentation and a better
experience on first arrival to the MacPorts site. Despite complaints
from time to time, nobody has stepped up to the chore to really make
things better.

Some resources:

	- We have an xml file containing all the documentation from the old
site.

	- We hope to bring online soon a RoR app that will, among other
things, provide listings of ports. One possibility would be to also
use this as a server for the site front-end and other documentation,
either to be served from statically generated pages or from the
database.

	- We also have our WordPress site in all of its unglory, which we
might hack on as needed.

	- Or something else.

	- Thomas Reifferscheid at Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz in
germany has graciously offered some hosting and bandwidth for
whatever services we need to host a site. Apple will likely also at
some point have the resources to allow us to host more of our site at
MacOSForge (they are currently trying to hire an admin for that site).

Some vision:

	- We need somebody with the vision, drive, and determination to fix
the documentation end of things, including pursuing one of the
options above. Portmgr would love to hear from you if you'd like to
pull this off.

	- We really need a nicely designed front-presence that describes the
project and gives access to ports and documentation. Our current
front end does those things only marginally.

Volunteers?

James