pdftk build fails

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 11 01:13:57 PDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 18:02, markd wrote:

>>> on my Intel-MacBook I want to install pdftk, which needs gcc41.
>>> Installing gcc41 made no problems, but at the end pdftk fails to
>>> build.
>>
>> gcc41 appears to be very incomplete on Intel and nobody appears to
>> know why. See my previous post:
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-April/
>> 002858.html
>>
>> I asked the MacPorts gcc41 maintainer and he did not respond. I
>> searched the gcc bug database and didn't find anything that looked
>> relevant (though it's hard to know what to search for). I was
>> considering reporting a bug there to see what they say.
>
> What happens if you edit the pdftk portfile and change the
> dependency to
> gcc 4.2?  Does it work with pdftk?

YES! Very yes. Thank you for the suggestion. I was wary of trying
gcc42 before, since it is not a final release, but to heck with it.
I've updated the port and now it builds on Intel.

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/25014

Eckhard, this version should be available in MacPorts within 12
hours, at which time you can "sudo port sync" and try installing
pdftk again. In the mean time, you should "sudo port install gcc42".
gcc42 took about 2 hours and more than 2GB of free disk space to
build so that should keep you busy for awhile.

I haven't yet tested on PowerPC; my PowerBook is still many hours
away from completing its gcc42 installation.