gtk2 compiling problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 11 20:41:47 PDT 2007

On May 11, 2007, at 09:09, Daniel Wolk wrote:

> On 5/6/07, Daniel Wolk wrote:

>> (first
>> appears in.)
>> use in
>> (first
>> use in
>> pointer and
>> (first
>> undeclared
>> undeclared
>> undeclared (first
>> undeclared

>> > Need more info...
>> >
>> > - What machine are you running this on?
>> > - What version of Mac OS X are you using?
>> > - Have you installed all Apple software updates for your OS?
>> > - Do you have the latest Xcode? (2.4.1 for Mac OS X 10.4.9, 1.5 for
>> > 10.3.9)
>> > - Do you also have Fink installed? (That's been causing problems
>> for
>> > others lately so now I'm asking it up front.)
>> >

>> 1) iBook G4 (1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 with 768 MB DDR SDRAM)
>> 2) 10.4.9
>> 3)  Yes, I have installed all the Apple software updates
>> 4)  Yes, xcode 2.4.1, but I installed it just a few days ago, when I
>> started having problems
>> 5) No, I do not have Fink installed.
>>
>> I started having problems a few days ago (before upgrading XCode)
>> when I tried:
>>
>> port -vu upgrade outdated
>>
>> I did have the MacOs version of X11 simulataneously with the macports
>> version of xdarwin.  I upgraded the latter and move /usr/X11R6 to
>> /usr/X11R6.apple first.
>> 4)
>
> I was just wondering if you made any progress on this problem.  I am
> not a developer, but it seems to me that it is just a matter of
> figuring out what dynamic library "owns" the functions
> "create_pikone_option", "ppd_coption_t", etc.  Either my system is
> missing that package, or somehow the config process is picking up the
> wrong version of it.  I don't know how to find that package on the
> Mac.  I really cannot think of anything I may have done wrong.  I
> installed cups from a dmg image (I don't know how else to do it).
> Could it be that those cups-related functions are in a place where the
> compilation driven by MacPorts can't find it?
>
> Please let me know if there is any other information I should send
> to you.
>
> Without gtk2, there are many applications I cannot use.

Hi again, Daniel. I'm Cc'ing the mailing list again on this reply.
Let's keep the discussion there so others can participate too.

MacPorts does not look for libraries that were not installed with
MacPorts. So MacPorts should not be making use of the CUPS you
installed separately. That is, at least, the intention, for reasons
explained in the FAQ:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries

However, it is possible that MacPorts is inadvertently picking up
your rogue CUPS and that it is incomplete in some way and is throwing
things off. Finally, Mac OS X already includes CUPS. So please
uninstall the CUPS you installed separately and try again.

Is there anything else you have manually installed like this? Perhaps
it's conflicting with things too. MacPorts is intended to handle all
your 3rd-party software installation needs. If it doesn't meet all
your needs, for example because some port is missing, let use know
and maybe we can add it.

I was also confused how you were able to have Apple's X11 and
MacPorts' XFree86 at the same time. That's not supposed to be
possible. If you already have Apple's X11 installed, attempting to
install the XFreeX86 port should fail and complain that bits are
already there. So presumably you installed the MacPorts XFree86, then
Apple's X11 on top, which happily replaced the MacPorts files. I
would recommend you clean this up: "sudo port -f uninstall XFree86"
to get rid of the MacPorts component, then "sudo rm -rf /usr/X11R6 /
Applications/Utilities/X11.app /Library/Receipts/X11SDK.pkg /Library/
Receipts/X11Update2006.pkg /Library/Receipts/X11User.pkg" to get rid
of any remaining parts of the Apple component, then install either
one or the other, as you wish: Either install X11User.pkg from the
Mac OS X DVD and X11SDK.pkg from the Xcode disk image, OR install
XFree86 from MacPorts. Don't attempt to do both at the same time. I
personally have had great success with Apple's X11. YMMV.