gtk2 compiling problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 13 11:34:23 PDT 2007

On May 13, 2007, at 12:31, Daniel Wolk wrote:

> On 5/11/07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

>> MacPorts does not look for libraries that were not installed with
>> MacPorts. So MacPorts should not be making use of the CUPS you
>> installed separately. That is, at least, the intention, for reasons
>> explained in the FAQ:
>>
>> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
>> FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries
>>
>> However, it is possible that MacPorts is inadvertently picking up
>> your rogue CUPS and that it is incomplete in some way and is throwing
>> things off. Finally, Mac OS X already includes CUPS. So please
>> uninstall the CUPS you installed separately and try again.
>>
>> Is there anything else you have manually installed like this? Perhaps
>> it's conflicting with things too. MacPorts is intended to handle all
>> your 3rd-party software installation needs. If it doesn't meet all
>> your needs, for example because some port is missing, let use know
>> and maybe we can add it.
>>

>> I was also confused how you were able to have Apple's X11 and
>> MacPorts' XFree86 at the same time. That's not supposed to be
>> possible. If you already have Apple's X11 installed, attempting to
>> install the XFreeX86 port should fail and complain that bits are
>> already there. So presumably you installed the MacPorts XFree86, then
>> Apple's X11 on top, which happily replaced the MacPorts files. I
>> would recommend you clean this up: "sudo port -f uninstall XFree86"
>> to get rid of the MacPorts component, then "sudo rm -rf /usr/X11R6 /
>> Applications/Utilities/X11.app /Library/Receipts/X11SDK.pkg /Library/
>> Receipts/X11Update2006.pkg /Library/Receipts/X11User.pkg" to get rid
>> of any remaining parts of the Apple component, then install either
>> one or the other, as you wish: Either install X11User.pkg from the
>> Mac OS X DVD and X11SDK.pkg from the Xcode disk image, OR install
>> XFree86 from MacPorts. Don't attempt to do both at the same time. I
>> personally have had great success with Apple's X11. YMMV.
>
> Thanks very much for your thoughtful help.  I really cannot fix the
> problem until I get a duplicate Mac OS DVD (I work out-of-state from
> my home and don't want my original to leave my home).  I did not
> realize that cups is so finicky, and that the Mac OS dmg images from
> the cups website were so incompatible with my system.

I actually have no experience with CUPS, and I'm not familiar with
the version you got from the CUPS web site. I was merely under the
impression that it already came with Mac OS X.

> As for X11, I just wanted to tell you that contrary to what you
> thought was probable, I had installed the Mac OS X11 first, and then
> the macports version.  I had some incompatibilities between the
> macports version of xemacs and Mac OS X11.  Once I get the Mac OS DVD,
> I will follow your advice, by cleaning the Mac OS X11 off and
> reinstalling the macports version.

Then perhaps you used the -f option to force MacPorts to overwrite
parts of the Apple X11 installation. Either way, as I said, they both
are designed to go into the same place -- /usr/X11R6 -- so you should
only have one installed at a time. Remove both, decide which one you
want to have, then install only that one.

> One big annoyance is that it is very difficult to uninstall 3rd party
> software.  I have learned my lesson: I will avoid it as much as
> possible.

Depends on the software. Most applications are distributed as disk
images from which you just drag the application to the Applications
folder. To uninstall such applications, drag the application from the
Applications folder to the Trash.

For software installed using Apple's Installer, a pkg file will be
left in /Library/Receipts. I thought there was a 3rd-party utility
you can use to uninstall software based on its receipt, but I can't
find it at the moment. At the very least, when you open the receipt
(or the original installer package) in the Installer you can use the
Show Files option in the File menu to see what files it would
install. That way you know what items to manually remove from your
hard disk. Note that files in the list are relative to the root into
which the package installs, which may or may not be the root of the
hard drive. To find the package's installation root, Control-click on
the receipt (or the original installer package), choose Show Package
Contents from the contextual menu, open the Contents folder, open the
Info.plist file and look at the IFPkgFlagDefaultLocation field.