per user configuration in macports

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Tue May 15 10:11:28 PDT 2007

Dear list,

	Since a few weeks (around release 1.4.0 I think), there are
discussions about a ~/.macports directory (sometimes because no $HOME is
defined, sometimes because this directory was created with permissions
disabling the user to access it). I do not really understand what it
stands for. Pardon me for not reading all release notes...

	Is it possible to have multiple users using port with different
options on the same machine, possibly installing in distinct locations?

	Is it possible to have macports behave correctly with user rights
hence the fact that configuration may belong to the user instead of root
or global config files? (I am quite certain the answer to this one is no
since creating users and groups (pgsql for example) needs administrator rights).

	And the real question : Is there any reason to have options in a
user directory rather than global options located in /etc or better
${prefix}/etc as it has always been?

Best,

Emmanuel