libmad developer package

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Tue May 15 20:52:44 PDT 2007

mark brethen <mbrethen at aim.com> on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 5:59 PM -0800
wrote:
>Well, I already installed libmad, and checked its contents
>
>Port libmad contains:
>   /opt/local/include/mad.h
>   /opt/local/lib/libmad.0.2.1.dylib
>   /opt/local/lib/libmad.0.dylib
>   /opt/local/lib/libmad.a
>   /opt/local/lib/libmad.dylib
>   /opt/local/lib/libmad.la
>
>Why then does it not find it when I do a make root_install? The error
>below,
>
>checking for mad_frame_decode in -lmad... no
>configure: error: libmad needed! Download the latest version at
>    http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/
>make: *** [root_libmp3splt] Error 1

Well it looks like it has all the files:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/audio/libmad/pkg-plist?rev=1.3;content-type=text%2Fplain

I wonder if this is normal?  Anyone?

otool -L /opt/local/lib/libmad.0.2.1.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libmad.0.2.1.dylib:
        /opt/local/lib/libmad.0.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
current version 3.1.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 88.3.4)

I'm beyond my knowledge on this, but I see the freebsd port set it in
pkg-config.  Could configure be consulting that?  If so, uninstall it and
try the fixed up one I attached.  Just cd to the unzipped directory and do
a port install from there.  It adds:

/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/mad.pc

And so pkg-config works:

$ pkg-config --libs mad
-L/opt/local/lib -lmad -lm

If that doesn't do it I'm out of guesses.  If it does, tell me and I'll
commit the changes.

Mark