commit new port - transcode

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Wed May 16 23:14:19 PDT 2007

Hi Chuck and David,

On 17/05/2007, at 00:14, Chuck Remes wrote:

> On May 16, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
>> Is there a compelling reason to use cvs HEAD for this port?
>
> Yes. The upcoming 1.1.0 release can only be accessed from HEAD.
> Plus, this is the best way to make sure that, as the code reaches
> release status, it doesn't break under OSX. The other maintainer
> and I are keeping a close eye on things to make sure OSX remains a
> solidly supported target platform. As soon as 1.1.0 is officially
> released, we will update the Portfile to grab a tarball.
>
> There is an older release (1.0.3) which could potentially be used,
> but it's a dead-end for support and functionality. All new
> development is focused on the 1.1.x releases.
>
> In the interim, HEAD is safe. The project developers have a policy
> of not breaking the build so we are (somewhat) assured the port
> will function properly for folks. Again, this is temporary.
>
> Is this sufficient?

My concern with tracking HEAD in a public portfile (which is, I
believe, the primary stated reason for discouraging it) is to do with
non-reproducibility of builds.  I imagine that it would be much
easier to diagnose a problem if we know exactly what was in the
source files via a tag, rather than having to try to find out when
exactly they installed the port (particularly if it's a bug that is
important but whose cause gets obfuscated by later changes, though I
don't know how likely that is).

Having said that, I don't see a problem with you maintaining a HEAD-
tracking port locally and a publicly available tag-tracking port
whose tag is frequently updated; if people are concerned with overly
frequent updates, we can label the latter as transcode-devel to warn
off people who are looking for more stable codebases.  Of course,
this course would be too much work without commit rights, but you're
welcome to apply for that [1] (note that I have nothing to do with
determining who gets those rights; I only got mine a few weeks ago).

May I finally say thank you for your work on developing a port for
transcode; speaking for myself, I've seen your posts to the lists and
am impressed by the amount of work you have both been putting into
this.  I'd hate you to think that your work was not being
appreciated.  (I'm not casting aspersions about Daniel, either, who
I'm sure appreciates your efforts too; I've just learned that you
have to be really careful about writing emails, as it is far too easy
to give the wrong impression.  Apologies if you think I'm over-
compensating, but I think it's worth it.)

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] "Requesting Commit Rights" at http://trac.macports.org/projects/
macports/wiki/NewCommittersGuide