X11-Error installing wireshark, using Apple's X11

Sebastian Hahn hahn.seb at web.de
Thu May 17 03:43:05 PDT 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 3:56 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 15, 2007, at 12:01, Sebastian Hahn wrote:
>
>> On May 15, 2007, at 9:12 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib? I believe that's the
>>> file that's being looked for by the ports you're installing, and
>>> it should be there as part of Apple's X11. If it's not there,
>>> reinstall X11User.pkg and X11SDK.pkg. I know you said you already
>>> have them installed, but maybe the installation got damaged
>>> somehow. Reinstalling from the original packages would ensure
>>> it's working correctly.
>>>
>>> Unless you want to use XFree86 instead, which you could do. In
>>> that case, do what the message says and move /usr/X11R6 out of
>>> the way first, or delete it. If you go this route, delete the X11
>>> receipts too, and X11.app.
>>
>> I'd rather not install XFree86, as I'm using Apple's X11 for other
>> things as well, and I'd hate to somehow mess that up... The
>> libX11.6.dylib is present on my system, and it's also not zero
>> size (I checked for the obvious "damaged file"-case)... Where can
>> I get the most current X11User.pkg and X11SDK.pkg-files from?
>
> For Mac OS X 10.4:
>
> X11User.pkg should be here:
>
> http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11update2006113.html
>
> It says it requires an existing X11 install, so you may have to
> install X11User.pkg from your Mac OS X 10.4 install DVD/CD first.
> Or it may be ok with what you have on your hard drive now.
>
> X11SDK.pkg is part of Xcode 2.4.1 which you download from Apple
> Developer Connection.
>

> For Mac OS X 10.3:
>
> X11User.pkg is here:
>
> http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11formacosx.html
>
> Xcode 1.5 is the last version that works with Mac OS X 10.3 and
> X11SDK.pkg should be a part of that.

Thanks a lot, it works now! After some problems with gtk-warnings
that I could solve thanks to google, wireshark actually runs :)

But I still have question... I have to open Terminal, and then type
"open-x11 wireshark". When I launch X11 directly, my .profile is
ignored somehow... I found on Apple's website that the X11-app uses
the same settings as the application that launched it, so is there a
way to force it to use .profile?

I hope this didn't sound totally confused...

Thanks
Sebastian