General questions about install order and variants (Apache2, PHP5, PostgreSQL, mySQL)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 18 12:53:02 PDT 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 14:37, Chris Pickel wrote:

> On 18 May, 2007, at 15:18, Mark Hattam wrote:
>
>> That's handy to know, as I have
>>   php5 @5.2.2_0+apache2+darwin_8+macosx+mysql5 (active)
>>
>> on my Powerbook G4Ti ... I'd never have guessed that +macosx
>> wasn't intended for the standard MacOSX 10.4.9 which I have
>> installed. Seems to work fine though ...
>
> This appears to be weird interaction between +apache2 and +macosx
> (because Apple of course ships a 1.3 version). The +macosx variant
> should probably depends apache so it will conflict with +apache2.

As one of the php5 maintainers, let me clear this up.

On any port, +macosx, if available, is auto-selected if you're
running Mac OS X, which is everybody. It does not automatically use
Apple's Apache 1.3 installation. Rather: the +apache variant
currently does that. Also, currently, if you do not specify either
+apache or +apache2, the php5 port will act as though you selected
+apache.

I find this confusing and intend to fix it soon so that +apache uses
the MacPorts apache port. There will then be a new variant
+apache_apple which will use Apple's Apache. And the default, if you
select neither +apache nor +apache2, will be to not include any
Apache support. This seems clearest.