Failed to initialize ports system, no suitable image found.

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Mon May 21 17:24:29 PDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

> I just installed macports for the first time and am having some
> difficulty getting started. What I've done so far:
> 1. ran installer (apparently successfully)
> 2. ran dhcp148:~ admin$ sudo port selfupdate
>
> and got:
> no suitable image found.  Did find:
>         /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib:
> mach-o, but wrong architecture

That error means that the Pextlib.dylib found is a version that only
works on one of Intel and PowerPC, and your machine is the other
one.  That's odd, because the version of Pextlib.dylib that comes in
the binary installer on the disk image (which is what I assume you
used) is a Universal binary (i.e. the shared libraries and
executables are built to work on both Intel and PowerPC).  My guess
is that you've somehow run one of those programs that "thins" such
"fat" binaries to one architecture and it's removed the wrong one.

Whatever the reason, however, you should be able to just download the
disk image again (just to be sure) and run the installer, overwriting
what's currently there.  If it won't do it, I believe that
downloading and running AppDelete before reinstalling will pick up
the package receipt from the first installation and clean it out
properly (I haven't used it much, but it seems to have a good
reputation).

If you need any more help, just drop us a line.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)