Wine works with Mac OS X PPC

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Mon May 21 19:27:29 PDT 2007

On 22/05/2007, at 10:48, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 21, 2007, at 15:47, mi demur wrote:
>
>> do you know if Wine works with Mac OS X PPC ?
>> it seems good because there is a ticket in 2002.
>> if no, there are a solution ?

<snip />

> However, I expect this will only work on Intel Macs. See to the FAQ
> on the Wine web site:
>
> http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-faq/index#UNDER-WHAT-PLATFORMS-
> WILL-WINE-RUN
>
> "Thus running Windows binaries on other platforms (e.g. Mac OS X on
> PowerPC) using just Wine is *not* possible."

On the other hand, the WINE wiki suggests that the Darwine project to
get WINE to run on Mac OS X/PPC is still going with some success [1],
and was last updated on Sourceforge at the end of last year [2].  I'd
agree with Ryan, though, that it's still likely to be alpha/
experimental software. (Apologies if I'm insulting your intelligence
by telling you this; I'm saying it for completeness.)  If I had a
PowerPC machine, I'd test out Darwine to see whether or not it was
worth putting a port into the tree, but sadly my old 2001 iBook has
long since gone.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX