GNOME applications menu empty

McGarry Vince vmcgarry at austin.rr.com
Tue May 22 05:38:09 PDT 2007

On May 21, 2007, at 8:37 PM, Randall Wood wrote:

> LD:
>
> What are the contents of your .xinitrc file?
>
> Have you looked at http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/
> wiki/GNOME to see if the problem is addressed there?
>
> I regularly reinstall GNOME on one of my Macs to test it and have
> not encountered this problem...
>
> On 21 May 2007, at 20:36, Boey Maun Suang wrote:
>
>> Hi LD,
>>
>> On 14/05/2007, at 00:22, LD wrote:
>>
>>> The GNOME applications menu shows no installed applications in
>>> any user account. Also, when I try to access help within GNOME, I
>>> get an error message about no file association. I tried editing
>>> applications.menu based on information from the GNOME lists, but
>>> to no avail. I have all the current GNOME ports installed under
>>> 10.4.9 PPC. KDE is also installed, and seems to work about as
>>> well as you would expect.
>>>
>>> Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for replies.

I have no problem with the applications menu, but I do have a problem
with the help files and have been for some time. When using help,
yelp opens with either a dialog or a menu of help items any of which
when clicked on will open the dialog. The dialog states: "There is no
default action associated with this location."

I did note that the scrollkeeper.conf file has the following:

OMF_DIR=/usr/share/omf:/usr/local/share/omf:/opt/gnome/share/omf:/opt/
gnome-2.0/share/omf:/opt/kde/omf

whereas the directory for the omf files is /opt/local/share/omf.
Adding this path, however, changes nothing. No help files will open.

Vince McGarry