port outdated failure message

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 25 18:22:15 PDT 2007

On May 25, 2007, at 20:03, Valentin Kuznetsov wrote:

>>> vk at localhost(16:01:04)> port -v outdated
>>> Error: port installed failed: list must have an even number of
>>> elements
>>> No ports are installed.
>>
>> I don't know why. Maybe you have an old version of MacPorts, and
>> maybe the recent changes to the portindex weren't as backward-
>> compatible as we thought they were. Please try updating MacPorts.
>> "sudo port selfupdate"
>
> that doesn't help, I tried multiple times. selfupdate went fine and
> I still got this message. The one is true, that my ports quite old,
> they're actually darwin ports.

I just want to be absolutely clear here: Which version of MacPorts
are you running? The current version is 1.4.42, also known as 1.442.
If you selfupdate, you should see this:

$ sudo port selfupdate
Password:
DarwinPorts base version 1.442 installed
Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.442
The MacPorts installation is not outdated and so was not updated
selfupdate done!

Note: I recently changed "DarwinPorts" to "MacPorts" in this message,
so MacPorts 1.4.43 should have the correct text.