Scribus doesn't start: cannot connect to X server

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 27 13:25:44 PDT 2007

On May 27, 2007, at 06:58, Osvaldo Gago wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On May 27, 2007, at 04:20, Osvaldo Gago wrote:
>>
>> > I've installed scribus yesterday:
>> >
>> > sudo port install scribus
>> >
>> > but when I start it trough the terminal:
>> >
>> > $ scribus
>> >
>> > It doesn't start and it returns the message:
>> >
>> > scribus: cannot connect to X server
>> >
>> > I've tried to run it with x11 server on and off
>> > (I launch it trough Gimpshop)
>> > But it doesn't work either way.
>> >
>> > I'm using an Intel Mac with OS 10.4.7.
>>
>> Try first opening X11.app (in Applications > Utilities) and then type
>> "scribus" into *that* xterm window, not in a regular Mac OS X
>> Terminal window.
>
> I've tryed with this result:
>
> bash: scribus: command not found
>
> Didn't work.

Sounds like your xterm is not properly set up. There are already
instructions in the wiki for how to do so:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
InstallingMacPorts#OptionsfortheMacPortsshellandX11environment

I had some problems with these instructions before, which are
described here:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-May/
003536.html

The instructions have been updated since then and I haven't checked
to see if that now solves my problem. Please let us know if you have
further problems after following the instructions in the wiki.

> Then tried:
>
> /opt/local/bin/scribus
>
> And it works, with this error:
>
> "The following programs are missing: Ghostscript You can not use
> EPS images or Print preview"
>
> I've made then:
>
> sudo port install ghostscript
>
> and confirmed that it was installed.
>
> So 1 problem solved, another program to solve.
>
> Thank you very much. After this is solved is there any place (a
> wiki?) where I can drop this information ?

scribus already depends on ghostscript:

depends_lib		bin:gs:ghostscript

But if "sudo port install ghostscript" solved the problem, that means
you must have another version of ghostscript installed but not as
part of MacPorts? If that's the case, then your above problem is
again caused by the first problem above, that your xterm is not set
up properly and therefore doesn't know where your other ghostscript
is. Follow the instructions above to set it up properly and let us
know if that doesn't work.