GPG2, GPG-Agent, Enigmail, and Thunderbird2

Altoine Barker ndiscreet at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:45:38 PDT 2007

Anyone find a way to get this port to work with Thunderbird? Let me
outline my steps. First I port installed gpg2 and gpg-agent:

sudo port -v install gnupg2 gpg-agent

Next, I read the man pages for gpg-agent and do this to my ~/.profile:

000-400-132:~ altoine$ cat ~/.profile
#
# Your previous .profile  (if any) is saved as .profile.mpsaved
# Setting the path for MacPorts.
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
#
# Script for ensuring only one instance of gpg-agent is running
# and if there is not one, start an instance of gpg-agent.
 if test -f $HOME/.gpg-agent-info && \
  kill -0 `cut -d: -f 2 $HOME/.gpg-agent-info` 2>/dev/null; then
   GPG_AGENT_INFO=`cat $HOME/.gpg-agent-info`
   export GPG_AGENT_INFO
 else
  eval `gpg-agent --daemon`
  echo $GPG_AGENT_INFO >$HOME/.gpg-agent-info
 fi
# Imperative that this environment variable always reflects the output
# of the tty command.
GPG_TTY=`tty`
export GPG_TTY
#

What I have in my environment is this:

000-400-132:~ altoine$ env
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/gpg-rHDjL0/S.gpg-agent:213:1
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=133
USER=altoine
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
PWD=/Users/altoine
GPG_TTY=/dev/ttyp1
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/altoine
LOGNAME=altoine
SECURITYSESSIONID=60d9a0
_=/usr/bin/env

This is what I have in my ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf:

000-400-132:~ altoine$ cat ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
default-key 12345678 #I modified this part from the actual key.
charset utf8
keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
use-agent
# GPG_AGENT_INFO should be set during gpg-agent startup. In certain
situations
# the use of this variabe is not possible, thus the option
#
# --gpg-agent-info=<path>:<pid>:1
#
# may be used to orverride it.
utf8-strings

In my enigmail preferences I have in the Basic Tab the override path set
to /opt/local/bin/gpg2.

I still receive a notice in Thunderbird that I do not have gpg-agent
running.

Also, I imported my keys from my other computer to this one and gave
ultimate trust to my three secret keys and set one as the primary if
that may be relevant. I would like to have this working through
MacPorts. If anyone has a solution, I am all ears. Please save me.

I am working with Mac OS X 10.4.9 on a PowerPC G4 with all the latest
and greatest updates. The latest XCode version 2.4.1, Thunderbird
version 2.0.0.0 (20070326), and enigmail 0.95.0.

TIA
-Altoine