mplayer doesn't build for me under Leopard on MacBook Pro

Lloyd Zusman hippoman at potamuses.net
Sat Nov 3 18:46:28 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign <at> macports.org> writes:

> A bug has been filed for this:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13021

Based on one of the comments in this bug report, I did the following and
got a workable mplayer:

% sudo -s

# port install mplayer

After the build fails, do this ...

# cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org
# cd release/ports/multimedia/mplayer
(I broke this into two 'cd' commands here because the single line is too
long for the Gmane software that I'm using to post this message)

# vi Portfile

At the end of the "configure.args-append" attribute, add these
options, and then save the file and exit 'vi'.

  --disable-mmx --disable-sse --disable-xinerama

(if you put these on a new line, make sure that the previous line ends
with a space followed by a backslash)

Then, just do this again:

# port install mplayer

# exit
(make sure you do this 'exit' ... it gets you out of the root shell
that 'sudo -s' put you in, above)

According to the bug report comments, this produces a version that doesn't
use make use of assembler source code and which therefore isn't as fast as
it could be.  The package maintainer said that he'd get back and fix this
properly some time after Dec. 7, but at least this build will provide
something usable until then.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 hippoman at potamuses.net