building postgres 8.2

Rick Gigger rick at alpinenetworking.com
Thu Nov 8 16:46:15 PST 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 6:12 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2007, at 18:13, Rick Gigger wrote:
>
>> Also I tried building postgres 8.2.5 (same as macports is using http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/databases/postgresql82/Portfile)
>>  from source and it built fine.  So I think that possibly it's one
>> of the contrib modules that is causing the problem.  If I modify
>> the port file how to I tell the port command to use the modified
>> file?
>
> This should explain what you need to know; if it does not, please
> let us know. The new guide is still in the process of being written
> and I haven't actually read it yet.
>
> http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/#development.local-repositories

This explained just fine how to do it.  I wasn't able to modify the
postgresql port file to get it to work though.  So I ended up just
downloading the postgres source code and installing it the good old
fashioned way with a ./configure, make, make install.  The virgin
source compiles and installs perfectly although I didn't add in any
configure flags (except --prefix) and I didn't add in any contrib
modules.

Then I used the instructions above to create my own port file for
php5.  I added my own variant to build with --with-pgsql but instead
of using the macports postgres I had it build against my hand
installed postgres.  Everything built fine at that point so I am up
and running.  I am curious as to what the port file is adding in that
is breaking it though, cause I couldn't figure it out.