browser displays the source php on macports site ?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 9 03:10:40 PST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 16:03, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2007, at 15:46, Bill Hernandez wrote:
>
>> When I clicked on :
>>
>> http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk/www/.htaccess
>>
>> I got :
>>
>> <Files ~ "\.inc$">
>>     Order allow,deny
>>     Deny from all
>> </Files>
>>

>> As you travel down the hierarchy to the link below :
>>
>> http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk/www/ports.php
>>
>> All the php content is displayed. Is that something you guys want
>> to do ?
>
> Well.... yes. The source code of the new web site is in the
> repository, which you're browsing, so it's expected that you're
> seeing the source code there.
>
> What were you expecting to see? If you want to see the new web site
> served up thru a PHP interpreter, that's currently happening at a
> URL which I forget but I'm sure someone will reply with it.

It's been brought to my attention that "What were you expecting to
see?" came across as rude. My apologies; that was not intended. I
meant it merely in the traditional bug reporting sense, in which
users report the behavior they expected from a product and the
differing behavior they actually observed. I've been a Subversion
user for years, so the behavior of Subversion and repository browsing
products like Trac is very familiar to me, so I had trouble imagining
what differing behavior Bill had expected, which is why I asked "what
were you expecting to see?" Suffice it to say that the observed
behavior of the repository browser is correct: its function is to
deliver the source of any file. Apologies for any offense caused by
my wording.

There are certainly enough things in MacPorts that could use
improvement, from aspects of the web presence to the base code to the
ports. And reports about any such issues are of course appreciated.