New Macports using trying to install octave

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 9 11:18:43 PST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 11:36, Jackson Myers wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2007, at 4:42 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Nov 8, 2007, at 16:52, Jackson Myers wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to Macports (but I have some Unix/Darwin experience and
>>> I have used Fink before). I am trying to install Octave on
>>> Leopard and not having much luck. The following is an error I got
>>> on  my first attempt. Can anybody decipher this and tell me how
>>> to make it work? thanks,
>>> -Jax
>>
>> I think it means that you have a PowerPC Mac, and the octave port
>> requests gcc40 on PowerPC machines, and gcc40 apparently won't
>> build on Leopard anymore. We've had at least one other report of
>> this that I recall. There's an open bug requesting that this be
>> changed to use gcc42. There's a patch attached to the ticket. You
>> could try the patch and see if it helps:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12144
>>
>> There's also an open request to update the port to the current
>> version:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12937
>>
>> The port's maintainer is busy with other things right now so he
>> hasn't had a chance to look at these tickets. But if you try the
>> patches and they fix the problem for you, someone else could
>> commit them.
>
> Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. Just a quick question
> though: How do I apply that patch?

Whoops, it looks like my patch in ticket 12144 has rotted. I'm
attaching an updated patch to the ticket.

So now you can:

sudo port clean --work octave
cd `port dir octave`
sudo patch -p0 < ~/Desktop/octave-gcc42-2.diff
sudo port install octave

The patch will disappear the next time you do a "sudo port
selfupdate" or "sudo port sync".

I don't use octave and I haven't tried the patch myself so if you run
into more problems please let us know.