Python Versions

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 9 12:26:13 PST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 2:31 PM, bensonk at acm.wwu.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using MacPorts to install python modules, but I'm finding
> that
> a lot of packages seem to depend on python 2.4 rather than 2.5.  Is
> MacPorts generally still using python 2.4 as the default python
> version?
> Is there a way to force a package (py-feedparser, for example) to use
> python 2.5?
>
> Thanks,
> Benson

Generally speaking all the python 2.4 modules have names that begin
"py" for example py-feedparser.
The python 2.5 modules all begin with "py25-" like py-25-zib.

port list py25* will list all the python 2.5 ones for you. If you see
a "py" that has no "py25" version you might ask the develloper or make
a trac ticket asking for one.  Or even get your feet wet, and try
making a port yourself. I know the developers on this list would be
glad to help you do that.... :)

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.0 Darwin 9.0.0