vim +python seems to use /usr/bin/python

Mark James Adams mark.james.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 04:20:02 PST 2007

> > Does anyone know of how to tell vim, at compile time or otherwise, to
> > use the macports install of python?
>
> Did you use python_select to get a python binary pointing to the version
> you want to use?

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed python_select, told it to use
python24, and rebuilt vim +python, but that didn't seem to help.

'which vim' has always returned /opt/local/bin/vim, but I don't think
it matters because vim's python module links to python at compile
time. Vim has a configuration option --with-python-config-dir, so I
tried adding

--with-python-config-dir=/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Libraries/python2.4/config/

under configure.args in the vim portfile. Uninstalling, cleaning, and
re-building vim still doesn't seem to be selecting the macports
install of python. The way I check is by typing something in vim like

:python import simplejson

since I've installed simplejson under macports python but not under OS
X's python.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks.