servers down

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 13 11:15:17 PST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 07:39, Edward Harvey wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2007, at 10:12 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Ok, so the apr0 and apr-util0 ports are out of date and need to be
>> updated. You should file a ticket for that in Trac. Instructions
>> are here:
>>
>> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/TracTicketing
>
> I submitted a ticket there.  I suppose I could watch the bug to see
> when it's taken care of, but there's a new question...

This was the ticket:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13251

> When they update this, will it be a "port selfupdate" situation?
> That will download new portfiles for me, and then I can build it,
> or is there some sort of "Update only my portfiles" procedure that
> will resolve this faster?

The "update only my portfiles" procedure is "port sync". We usually
recommend "port selfupdate" because it includes a "sync" and also
makes sure your MacPorts base software is up to date.

> I tried simply editing my portfiles (change the version number and
> update the md5sum).  Apr0 and apr-util0 built just fine, and apache
> with the defaults only complained of warnings (warning, this build
> violates port file structures, blah blah) but what I need to do is
> "port install apache20 +openldap" and this build unfortunately fails.
>
> So I suppose it will work whenever the next stable release of port
> is released "port selfupdate" but who knows when that will be.
>
> I'm wondering if there's any way to get this done sooner?

There aren't "stable" and "unstable" ports; there's just ports. Once
a change to a port is committed to the repository, "port selfupdate"
will be able to pull it down within 30 minutes.

Since you already worked out how the portfiles need to be changed,
you could ease the maintainer's job (and thereby make the update
happen faster) by attaching your diffs to the ticket.

Tickets don't get seen unless they're Cc'd to the maintainer of the
port. It looks like Anthony already added Blair's email address to
the Cc list so he should see it now. If he does not react within 72
hours, anyone else can commit the update. Remind us in 3 days if the
ticket has not yet been resolved.

If apr upgraded successfully but you are now having problems with a
variant of apache20, then it sounds like there's a second problem.
You should show us the exact error message you're getting now.