Error building slib-guile16

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 16 01:54:36 PST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 17:37, William Davis wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2007, at 6:13 PM, Kurt Hillig wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install gnucash, and running into a problem with
>> slib-guile16.
>>
>> It looks like there's a bug in its installation script (makefile?
>> I'm new to this stuff), in that it tries to create a link that
>> already exists, causing it to bomb:
>>
>>  G5Q > sudo port install -f gnucash +guile16
>>  --->  Staging slib-guile16 into destroot
>>  Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: could not create
>> new link
>>  "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_deve
>> l_slib-guile16/work/destroot//opt/local/share/guile/slib":
>>  that path already exists
>>  Error: The following dependencies failed to build: slib-guile16
>>  Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>>
>> I've verified this by installing XCode and macports (the latest
>> versions) on my brand new laptop and simply trying 'port install
>> slib-guile16'; it builds the dependencies but then fails to
>> install slib-guile16, giving the same error message.
>>
>> As I said, I'm new to this stuff; if I knew where to look I might
>> be able to fix it, but there are a lot of files to poke through
>> and I don't really know what does what...
>>
>> Advice would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> > Computers were invented to help people waste more time faster <
>
> gnucash lists both guile16 and slib-guile16 as dependentcies,
> however guile16 also lists slib-guile16 as a dependency.  I wonder
> if this is causing two build attempts on slib-guile16 and producing
> your error?  Just a guess......

William, that definitely cannot be the problem. If MacPorts had such
a problem, practically nothing could be installed. It's perfectly
normal to declare dependencies in that way.

Kurt, I get the same error as you when trying to install slib-
guile16. The portfile is clearly in error. Please file a bug report
in Trac and be sure to assign it to the port's maintainer so this can
be fixed.