New Macports using trying to install octave

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 16 14:37:42 PST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 08:00, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Whoops, it looks like my patch in ticket 12144 has rotted. I'm
>> attaching an updated patch to the ticket.
>>
>> So now you can:
>>
>> sudo port clean --work octave
>> cd `port dir octave`
>> sudo patch -p0 < ~/Desktop/octave-gcc42-2.diff
>> sudo port install octave
>>
>> The patch will disappear the next time you do a "sudo port
>> selfupdate" or "sudo port sync".
>>
>> I don't use octave and I haven't tried the patch myself so if you
>> run into more problems please let us know.
>
> This patch was insufficient for getting the install to work. I get
> the failure:
>
> --->  Building octave with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
> local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_math_
> octave/work/octave-2.9.9" && make all " returned error 2
> Command output: ls: *.cc: No such file or directory

[snip]

But at least you got past the initial problem Jackson had, which was
that gcc40 wouldn't build. Now, you have successfully built gcc42, it
seems, and are having problems with octave.

Jackson reported that gcc42 wouldn't build for him either, so maybe
he had something else going on.

I think I'll apply the patch anyway, if someone else doesn't get to
it first.