selfupdate failing under Leopard

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Fri Nov 16 14:55:57 PST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2007, at 15:57, James Berry wrote:

>> The use-case for readline in macports is quite small. I'm inclined
>> to simply disable readline by default, which would eliminate this
>> problem. All opposed?
>
> That might eliminate the problem of selfupdate not working in
> relation to the rogue readline in /usr/local, but it would not fix,
> for example, ticket 12040, in which db44 fails in weird ways if a
> rogue readline is present. I believe other ports can fail in these
> ways as well.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12040
>
> I would prefer a solution that causes MacPorts to scream and shout
> if a readline is present in /usr/local.

Hi Ryan,

I'm still willing to be convinced otherwise, but I did end up putting
in code to disable by default the readline support. Your point that
users may experience the problem elsewhere is good, but I'm most
concerned about them having a good experience with MacPorts, and this
is a problem that quite a few face out of the box. The return for
having readline is very small, as readline is really only useful if
port(1) is run in interactive mode, which is not a very common thing
for people to do, and so we end up causing a lot of pain (for others
and for ourselves) for a feature that doesn't give much back.

James