xmgrace and leopard?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 17 01:36:33 PST 2007

Please keep this discussion on the mailing list by using the Reply To
All feature when you reply.

On Nov 16, 2007, at 16:44, Brian Barnes wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Nov 16, 2007, at 11:25, Brian Barnes wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone had grace functioning under OS X 10.5.
>>> I am currently using Tiger, but haven't found any positive
>>> reports of someone getting grace working under Leopard, and that
>>> is a showstopper for my upgrading.  There are some X11/Xquartz
>>> updates available, but none mention helping of building grace.
>>> Nothing in fink or at hpc.sourceforge.net yet either.  Is anyone
>>> working on building this package, or is a specific problem triaged?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> http://grace.darwinports.com/dports/x11/grace/Portfile
>>> http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin
>>
>> Please note that darwinports.com is not affiliated with the
>> MacPorts project and I recommend you do not refer to that site for
>> any information. The MacPorts web site is http://www.macports.org/
>
> Thanks for the pointer -- I am new to macports.  My understanding
> is that the project name changed from darwinports to macports
> sometime last year or so.  Are the darwinports.com people that just
> branched off macports and are doing their own thing?  I am totally
> oblivious to any story between the two sites.  I tried finding a
> package listing on the macports webpage and failed.  Is there a
> webpage for the grace package in macports somewhere?  I am curious
> as to whether it requires g95 as a dependency, or if it can be
> built with gfotran (which I would prefer).  I think the fftw
> dependency of grace typically spurs the dependency of a fortran
> compiler.

MacPorts used to be called DarwinPorts. However, darwinports.com has
never been affiliated with the MacPorts (formerly DarwinPorts)
project. It's just some other individual who wanted to start a web
site, and failed to coordinate that effort with the project. The
MacPorts project cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information on
that or any other site, other than the official MacPorts web site.

The current MacPorts web site does not have a port list. The old
official DarwinPorts site did, but when our old host OpenDarwin died,
we moved to the new Mac OS Forge host and used their default site
template, which is a bit lacking. The site is being redesigned and
will hopefully be relaunched soon. You can peek at the new version here:

http://apollo.homeunix.net/macports/

There is no web page for the grace port, or for most other ports.
However, you can use port commands to learn about the port. "port cat
foo" prints the port to the screen. "port edit foo" opens it in your
favorite editor. "port info foo" and "port deps foo" tell you about
the dependencies. "port variants foo" tells you about available
variants. "man port" tells you more. In this case, the grace portfile
makes no reference to either g95 or gfortran. I'd say ask the
maintainer, but unfortunately the grace port has no maintainer.

You mentioned fftw, but as far as I can tell, grace does not depend
on fftw. fftw has a fortran variant which uses gcc34, which is rather
old. But fftw is rather old too. If you want fftw, you may want the
port fftw-3 instead. It has two variants, fortran and g95, so you can
choose which fortran you want. Unfortunately, the "fortran" variant
uses gfortran from gcc40. This port should be updated to use gfortran
from gcc42.

> My first macports experience just now was a build failure compiling
> xscorch on 10.4/intel.  :(   Moria built fine, and now I'm trying
> dopewars and xboard.  Starting with a few little things as tests :)

Sorry about the problem. Unfortunately xscorch is also unmaintained.
I do not see a ticket filed in Trac about any xscorch problem. You
should file a ticket. Instructions are here:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/TracTicketing

> Maybe you can also answer, as macports uses "mac" in its name, is
> it somehow affiliated with Apple or does it have some Apple
> employees that contribute?  I am not sure what would be better in
> the long term, to use MacPorts, or Fink.  Fink has a couple really
> good maintainers of packages that I care about (e.g.  Jack Howarth
> and gfortran related things), but MacPorts may be more "official"?

MacPorts changed its name from DarwinPorts to emphasize the fact that
it's meant for Mac users. MacPorts is hosted by Mac OS Forge, an open-
source hosting venture of Apple. Some MacPorts contributors are Apple
employees. But none of this makes MacPorts an Apple project; it's
not. Neither Fink nor MacPorts are more official. I imagine some Fink
contributors work at Apple too. Apple's a big company. I personally
decided a few years ago to switch to MacPorts (then DarwinPorts)
since Fink was giving me grief, and as you see I've stuck with it now
and I'm happy with that decision.

About half the ports in MacPorts are unmaintained. But the other half
do have maintainers. It is still a growing project and needs all the
help it can get. Willing maintainers who stay on top of their ports
and keep them updated and working are certainly sought. If you see a
port in MacPorts that's unmaintained, but you care about the
software, it would be appreciated if you would offer to maintain it.
If you would spend the time and energy to compile it for yourself
manually, why not invest that time and energy into fixing the
MacPorts portfile so all can enjoy it, right?

Leopard is being especially problematic. I personally am not
upgrading to Leopard yet because of all the problems I've seen
reported. (Just search the issue tracker for "Leopard".) On the other
hand, this makes it difficult for me to help fix the Leopard problems
that people report with the ports I maintain. As an early adopter of
Leopard, you might be uniquely able to help us during this
troublesome transition.