ocaml won't compile/install {Scanned}

HENRY HOLLENBERG hgh at rcwm.com
Sun Nov 18 13:03:19 PST 2007

Commented out the:

# platform darwin_9
#   macosx_deployment_target 10.4
# }

as requested and got a bit farther.....all the way to where I got stuck
when I tried to
compile the sources without macports, looks like something called stk is
missing it's definition:

gcc -I../byterun -DCAML_NAME_SPACE -DNATIVE_CODE -DTARGET_i386
-DSYS_macosx  -O -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT   -c -o
globroots.o globroots.c
ln -s ../byterun/signals.c signals.c
gcc -I../byterun -DCAML_NAME_SPACE -DNATIVE_CODE -DTARGET_i386
-DSYS_macosx  -O -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT   -c -o
signals.o signals.c
gcc -I../byterun -DCAML_NAME_SPACE -DNATIVE_CODE -DTARGET_i386
-DSYS_macosx  -O -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT   -c -o
signals_asm.o signals_asm.c
signals_asm.c: In function 'segv_handler':
signals_asm.c:193: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
signals_asm.c:193: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
signals_asm.c: In function 'caml_init_signals':
signals_asm.c:241: error: storage size of 'stk' isn't known
signals_asm.c:241: warning: unused variable 'stk'
make[1]: *** [signals_asm.o] Error 1
make: *** [runtimeopt] Error 2

Henry Hollenberg.

William Davis wrote:

> [...]
>>> get my old version of ocaml (3.10.0) to compile.  It compiled fine
>>> on 10.4.
>>>
>>> So I downloaded MacPorts to get that version of ocaml:
>>>
>>> sh-3.2# port search ocaml
>>> ocaml                          lang/ocaml     3.10.0       Objective
>>> Caml is an implementation of the ML language
>>> ocaml-mode.el                  lang/ocaml-mode.el 3.05         An
>>> EMACS major mode for editing OCaml programs.
>>> ocamlduce                      lang/ocamlduce 3.08.4pl3    Objective
>>> Caml extensions for manipulating XML
>>>

>>> But when I try to install I get:
>>>
>>> sh-3.2# port install ocaml
>>> Error: Error executing darwin_9: invalid command name
>>> "macosx_deployment_target"
>>> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants
>>>

>>> I don't think it is a bad install of MacPorts as I have loaded
>>> several packages succesfully:
>>>
>>> sh-3.2# port installed
>>> The following ports are currently installed:
>>> expat @2.0.1_0 (active)
>>> gettext @0.17_0 (active)
>>> libiconv @1.11_6 (active)
>>> py-chart @1.37_0 (active)
>>> python24 @2.4.4_1+darwin_9 (active)
>>> python25 @2.5.1_2+darwin_9 (active)
>>>
>>> Is their some way I can edit the sources on ocaml to get it to compile?
>>>
>>> If not, How long do these type things usually take to get fixed in
>>> MacPorts? ie when should I check back....daily, weekly, monthly???
>>
>> Depends on the port, the problem and the availability of the
>> maintainer :)
>> I am the maintainer of ocaml, but I don't have Leopard and I have
>> been vaguely inactive lately, especially when the following lines
>> were added to ocaml Portfile:
>>
>> platform darwin 9 {
>>    macosx_deployment_target 10.4
>> }
>>
>> This is what breaks on your system. Judging from the Changelog, this
>> command hasn't been released yet, and this is why it breaks. I guess
>> you can either:
>> - get the latest development version of MacPorts (or the 1.6 RC, if
>> it includes this command)
>> - replace it with something that should work on the previous release
>> of MacPorts, such as:
>> configure.env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4
>>
>> I'm Ccing Kevin who might have a clue.
>>
>> Paul

> I reported this a week ago
> --http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13236
> also if this *was* valid should it not be = 10.5 for darwin_9 not 10.4
> as shown in portfile
>

> @ Henry
> sudo port edit ocaml
> will let you edit the port file (assuming you have env value EDITOR
> defined)
> try adding # at the begining of those three lines
>
> # platform darwin_9
> #   macosx_deployment_target 10.4
> # }
>
> Then try again. Note: this change will go away the next time you do
> sudo port selfupdate, but that doesnt matter if the software installed

believed to be clean.