ICMPTraceRoute Not Found

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 18 18:04:21 PST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007, at 14:14, Altoine Barker wrote:

> I have seen this problem before but didn't find anyone complaining
> about
> it after doing a little googling. I looked at the port from the
> darwinports website and discovered that the port is actually named
> traceroute and not icmptraceroute.

If you're talking about darwinports.com, please know that they're not
affiliated with the MacPorts (formerly DarwinPorts) project in any
way, and I recommend you do not use that web site as a source for any
information. Use the official MacPorts web site, which is
www.macports.org.

> If you do a search for icmptraceroute, you will not find it. If you
> check it for info using a terminal port commmand (port info
> icmptraceroute), it still can not be found. Searching for "traceroute"
> will not produce "traceroute".
>
> Anyone understand a reason for this confusion?

"port search traceroute" does find it:

$ port search traceroute
traceroute                     net/icmptraceroute 1.4a12       a
traceroute implementation using ICMP packets
tcptraceroute                  net/tcptraceroute 1.5beta7     a
traceroute implementation using TCP packets
$

I note that the traceroute port is in a directory called
icmptraceroute. I have fixed it in r31247 so it's in a directory
called traceroute to match the port name declared in the portfile.
This doesn't really have any bearing on anything, just makes things
more orderly.

I don't know why the port isn't called "icmptraceroute" if that's the
software's proper name. You could ask the maintainer of the
traceroute port.