Kismet on OSX 10.5.1 Leopard

caliel at caliel.no-ip.org caliel at caliel.no-ip.org
Mon Nov 19 11:20:01 PST 2007

I am having trouble with kismet on leopard.  Details are as follows

     -- iBook G-4 1.2 GHz
     -- Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)
     -- MacPorts 1.520
     -- OSX 10.5.1
     -- Kismet 2007.10.R1

I made a backup of the original config file kismet.conf to kismet.conf.DIST
before changes were made. The results of a diff from the edited file to the
original file are as follows.

     Yliakum:~ caliel$ diff /opt/local/etc/kismet.conf
/opt/local/etc/kismet.conf.DIST
     13c13
     < suiduser=caliel
     ---
     > suiduser=your_user_here
     27c27
     < source=darwin,en1,airport_extreme
     ---
     > source=none,none,addme

Kismet fails as follows.

     Yliakum:~ caliel$ sudo kismet
     Password:
     Launching kismet_server: /opt/local/bin/kismet_server
     Will drop privs to caliel (502) gid 20
     No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
     Non-RFMon VAPs will be destroyed on multi-vap interfaces (ie,
madwifi-ng)
     Enabling channel hopping.
     Enabling channel splitting.
     INFO:  wlt1 looks like a Broadcom card running under Darwin.
     Source 0 (airport_extreme): Enabling monitor mode for darwin source
interface en1 channel 6...
     î|07-11-19 14:00:48.175 kismet_server[3092:10b] †
     INFO: en1 looks like a Broadcom card running under Darwin and already
has monitor mode enabled in the kernel.
     Source 0 (airport_extreme): Opening darwin source interface wlt1...
     FATAL: BIOCSETIF: wlt1: Device not configured
     Done.

The README included with the install has the Airport Extreme (Broadcom and
Atheros) listed as supported by the "darwin" capture source.  Later in the
README the Airport Extreme (Broadcom) is listed in the section "Chipsets
known to NOT WORK"

Google indicates, using the search term: wlt1 "device not configured", that
at least one other person has observed this behavior.

My question is obviously how do I get kismet working from here.  But I
would also like to know what wlt1 is.  Furthermore, why kismet is trying to
configure it as a capture source as well as en1?  I have tried to be
thorough in my description of the circumstances.  If any further
information is required to understand the situation, please let me know.

--Caliel