Mac OS X 10.3 support (was: Re: Installing python25 on OS X 10.3 failed)

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Nov 19 23:40:51 PST 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2007, at 14:02, Weissmann Markus wrote:
>
>> 10.3 is not officially supported anymore*) and I do not even have
>> access to a 10.3 box.

> This is the first I've heard of 10.3 not being supported anymore.
>
> Historically MacPorts has supported the current Mac OS X release and
> the previous one, and granted, 10.5 was just released. But a lot of
> ports aren't working so great on Leopard right now [1]. If a decision
> is made to drop 10.3 support, I would hope that we would wait until
> the 10.5 bug reports stop bucketing in and we can honestly say that
> the MacPorts experience on 10.5 is at least as good as it was on 10.4.
> And we are currently far from that.

Last thing I heard was that support for *Jaguar* and OpenDarwin was to
be dropped (a lot of ports still have "darwin 6" and "puredarwin"
blocks), but that Panther would continue to be supported - even if
Apple doesn't really issue updates for it anymore. At least
historically, kitty-2 dies* when the new one is born.

Outside of MacPorts, I'm still supporting Mac OS X 10.3 "while stock
lasts" but that is mostly because the SDKs and Rosetta make it possible
to build and test somewhat on Leopard even... (and partly because I
think Panther has probably been the best Mac OS X release so far for
me, out of the five - as I'm still using it)

--anders

PS. Just noticed that they pulled the link to Mac OS X 10.4 too,
http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/ ...