Using svn for portfile management

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Fri Nov 23 03:34:29 PST 2007

On 23 Nov 2007, at 06:24, js wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As an occasional Portfile editor, I prefer to use svn to manage
> Portfiles
> than rsync because that allow me to check diffs or changelogs easily.
>
> One problem is PortIndex.
> Everytime I port update to get the latest port tree,
> I have to rebuild, which takes a long time to finish.

A regenerated PortIndex is pushed into the subversion repository
every 12 hours, so svn updates should catch it.

> Is there any easier way of doing this job?
> I'm using a bit old Mac, doing portindex everytime is not a easy job.

You should only have to regenerate the PortIndex if you are worried
about version changes and need to be able use "port upgrade foo"
instead of "cd path/to/foo ; port deactivate foo ; port install"

Randall Wood
rhwood at mac.com
http://shyramblings.blogspot.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the
rest is just philosophy."