compiling as root?

Michael Thon mike.thon at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 00:42:52 PST 2007

Linux people generally recommend that you do not compile source code
with a user that has superuser privileges, which I assume is a guard
against possibly malicious commands that may be in the compile
scripts.  When I install packages with macports (sudo port install
xyz)  they're compiled by the root user.  I assume that the developers
have thought about this and decided that it is not a security
problem.  But I am curious, is it ok or not ok to compile source code
as root?
cheers