Port version 1.520: py-gnome is inconsistent.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 24 03:58:04 PST 2007

Let's continue this only on the macports-users list; one list ought
to be sufficient.

On Nov 23, 2007, at 21:48, Douglas Philips wrote:

> First thing I did was port -d selfupdate. port --version says:
> 	MacPorts 1.520
> and goes into interactive mode.
>
> I started out trying to install meld. That apparently is an
> infinite task. After waiting over 5 minutes for port to stop what
> seemed to be an infinite loop of scanning dependencies, I went
> after it by hand and started installing the pieces.

You can use the debug flag -d to see exactly what MacPorts is doing,
to see if it's really in an infinite loop or just busy doing things.
("sudo port -d install foo") I'm not sure if it's the case here, but
there is software (like gcc42) which requires hours to build even on
today's fastest Macs.

> Until I found an inconsistency. I went after port deps on all the
> parts looking for where the problem was. Had I known it would have
> taken me 3 hours, I wouldn't have bothered. But since I spent the
> time looking (and I started bottom up :(, so I didn't find this
> very quickly) I wanted to raise this issue:
>
> (Eliding the branches of dependencies which aren't relevant to this
> conflict...)
>
> meld depends on py-gnome and py-gtk2
>
> py-gnome depends on libzvt and py-gtk2
>
> libzvt depends on gnome_session depends on control-center depends
> on nautilus depends on eel depends gnome_menus depends on py25_gtk2
> (!) depends on py25_cairo
>
> py_gtk2 depends on py_cairo

I had trouble visualizing this, so I made a graph of these
dependencies in Graphviz. Source dot file and resulting png image
attached.