problem initializing macports

tania habib taniahabib at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 04:23:23 PST 2007

Dear List,
It has been long since I installed macports on my mac osx 10.4. I used
the ports to install many packages but then I went on to do  some
other things and did not use ports for a while. Last week, when I
tried to intialize the port, it did not work!
When I go to and X11 terminal and type port , it gives me the
following error message

Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize ports system, no
suitable image found.  Did find:
        /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib:
mach-o, but wrong architecture

Please help me out here as I even thought of uninstalling and
re-installing it again but I will lose all the packages I installed
with it and currently I need them for my work. Kindly let me know if
there is a work around this problem!

Regards,
Tania