Apache 2.2.6 and OpenSSL 0.9.8g do not seem to be compatible

Rob Huston roberthuston at mac.com
Mon Nov 26 17:59:06 PST 2007

Hello,

After upgrading to Leopard, I upgraded my MacPorts Apache2
installation from 2.2.4 to 2.2.6. Unfortunately, upon restarting
Apache, via

     sudo /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl -k restart

I now get the following error message:

     httpd: Syntax error on line 96 of /opt/local/apache2/conf/
httpd.conf:
     Cannot load /opt/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server:
     Symbol not found: _ssl_cmd_SSLCACertificateFile\n
     Referenced from: /opt/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so\n
     Expected in: flat namespace\n

If I comment out the

     LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so

line in httpd.conf, then Apache starts up and I can see my local web
pages and Subversion repositories (as long as I don't use SSL). The
strange thing is that, in Leopard, Apple has upgraded the factory
install of Apache to 2.2.6 already, and it has SSL enabled. If I
activate Apple's Apache via the Web Sharing command in the System
Preferences, everything starts up just fine. However, I notice that
Apple's factory installation of OpenSSL is at version 0.9.7l, whereas
the MacPorts version (as of this writing) is at 0.9.8g. Perhaps there
might be an incompatibility with Apache 2.2.x and OpenSSL 0.9.8g?
Before I upgraded my MacPorts, I was running Apache 2.2.4 with OpenSSL
0.9.8e without any problems.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks much for any help,

- Rob Huston