MySQL5, OS X 10.4.10, startups, etc.

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 10:57:17 PDT 2007

On 9/30/07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> Feel free to make a proposal to the macports-dev list if you feel
> strongly about this. The current approach works, so you should
> explain why your approach is better (and if there are any reasons why
> it might be worse).

I don't know that I feel strongly about it. I think it preserves the
integrity of the host file system by editing an existing file rather than
writing files to places outside of /opt/local. I realize that rule is bent
and in some cases broken[*] but I think adhering to the infrastructure where
possible makes sense. Adding and removing those startup items is centralized
in the one file that is easily found, rather than looking in the active
system hierarchy and risking mucking something up (imagine the consequence
of a poorly-formed rm command in /Library/LaunchDaemons?)

* see /Library/Tcl/macports-1.0/

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>