problem when installing macports

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Oct 1 23:51:27 PDT 2007

Thomas De Contes:

>> Anders, he didn't say what OS version he was using. Also, he's on G4,
>> so gcc 3.3 is a native compiler, not a cross-compiler.

Actually I meant platform cross-compiler rather than architecture
cross-compiler, but it doesn't matter much...

>> But, Thomas, if you're running Mac OS X 10.3.9, then you need Xcode
>> 1.5, which installs gcc 3.3 and that's supposed to be fine for
>> MacPorts. If you're on Mac OS X 10.4.10, then you need Xcode 2.4.1
>> which installs gcc 4.0, and your gcc_select should be set to use gcc
>> 4.0, which is the default. Using gcc 3.3 as your system compiler on
>> Mac OS X 10.4 is not supported by MacPorts, and I don't recommend it
>> for any reason.
>
> thank you very much for all the details :-)
>
> i have 10.4, two remote computers with ppc, and my local computer with
> intel
>
> but, if on 10.4 the "core" is gcc 4.0,
> why is there
> "This package contains the Apple version of the gcc 4.0 compiler."
> and
> "This package contains the Apple version of the gcc 3.3 compiler, and
> is required to use the Developer Tools on Mac OS X."
> even on intel, which let us suppose that the "core" is gcc 3.3 ?

It probably just wasn't updated since it really was the required one...
Like Ryan says, Mac OS X 10.3.9 (with Xcode 1.5) is also still OK to
use.

Mac OS X 10.4.10 (actually Xcode 2.4.1) comes with *four* compilers,
one for each version of Mac OS X: gcc2, gcc3, gcc-3.3 and gcc-4.0
The recommended one is gcc-4.0, since it can't build Universal binaries
with the gcc-3.3 (and since GCC 4 is much better than GCC 3 anyway, but)

Usually you just install the "XcodeTools.mpkg", instead of individual
pkg ?
And that will install *both* of gcc4.0.pkg and gcc3.3.pkg, by default...

--anders