Problems installing Oregano.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 2 00:20:45 PDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 02:12, mike clemow wrote:

> On 10/1/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 1, 2007, at 19:35, mike clemow wrote:
>>
>>> I'm new to macports from Debian.  I'm trying to install oregano, and
>>> all the dependencies have downloaded and installed, but when
>>> port gets the oregano source, this happens:

[snip fetch failure]

>>> What exactly does this mean?  Does this mean that the file just
>>> isn't there?  Or should I be asking this on another list?
>>
>> This is the right list. I see the oregano port still tries to fetch
>> from opendarwin. opendarwin died quite awhile ago. Also it looks like
>> the port hasn't been substantially updated since being initially
>> added on 2004-11-16. The port is for oregano 0.3.2 but the current
>> version is 0.69.0. It looks like maybe the reason the distfile was
>> stored on opendarwin is that the project does not release source
>> tarballs; currently they tell you to pull the source via darcs.
>> Someone who knows about this software should fetch the 0.69.0 source,
>> put the tarball up in the macports repository, and update the port to
>> 0.69.0. Probably best to just totally rewrite the portfile.
>
> I noticed that it was an old version too.  I've already downloaded the
> oregano-0.69.0 source, but I'm not sure how to compile it against what
> macports has installed.  I would actually be glad to update the
> package, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that (e.g. rewriting
> the portfile, etc.). What section of the wiki should I read?
>
> I'd be fine just getting it to run on my machine, but it's a shame
> it's not available to everyone.

We would certainly appreciate it if you would update the port. The
wiki is not useful for learning that, but the new guide, which is in
the process of being written, should be. While it is being developed,
it is available at this temporary URL:

http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/