Keyboard problems (backspace, up/down etc) with command-line tools

Per Bull Holmen pbholmen at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 08:34:31 PDT 2007

Hey

I'm totally new to MacPorts, and fairly much a rookie
regarding UNIX/X-Windows. I recently installed the
package ng-spice after giving up on both MacSpice and
finding a Fink *spice package. This is (mostly) a
command-line tool, but uses some X11 and this works
great. Installation is done according to the web site,
although I have made a slight maneuver to make it work
with both Fink and MacPorts, changing the
~/.bash_profile to the following:

----start
# source .bashrc if it's there
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    . ~/.bashrc
fi

# For darwinports
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export DISPLAY=:0.0
echo 'setup for darwinports'

# For fink
# test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh
# export DISPLAY=localhost:0
# echo 'setup for fink'

echo 'edit ~/.bash_profile to set up for
fink/darwinports'

----end

I don't know if this is necessary, but the site
explains that the PATH prepend operation may override
som Apple libraries, therefore I assumed I there might
be some compatibility problems if Fink installed libs
get overridden by MacPorts installed libs or the
opposite. (.bashrc does not exist BTW). I have not
made any setup changes to system/init/bash files apart
from installing Fink/Darwin.

ANYWAY here is my problem: Running ngpsice from Apples
terminal, the program won't recognize special keys
like backspace and arrows. Running from xterm it WILL
recognize backspace but not the other keys. The other
keys output weird codes like [^A etc. Also, it seems
that emacs (run from Apples Terminal) now recognize
backspace as forward delete (I haven't touched the
emacs installation, it's just the standard one from
MacOS DVD).

Is this a port problem, or soemthing I can fix by
editing the setup?

I'm running MacOS X 10.4 on an Intel-mac laptop, with
Norwegian keyboard-layout.

Per

--

Mvh
Per Bull Holmen

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard