ffmpeg - unable to install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 2 14:33:25 PDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 15:54, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2007, at 15:27, William Davis wrote:
>
>> On Oct 2, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Joe wrote:
>>
>>> Below is the info of the problematic machine:
>>>
>>> OS X 10.4.10 Intel
>>>
>>> MacPorts:
>>> 1.520
>>>
>>> Fink is installed under /sw:
>>> 0.27.6
>>>
>>> Xcode:
>>> 2.2
>>
>> Im sure Ryan will answer you shortly but why not upgrade Xcode to
>> 2.4.1 like your other machine?
>> good luck :)
>
> Absolutely. Earlier versions of Xcode are known to be problematic.
> That's why the first step of the installation instructions says
> that you must install the latest Xcode, not any older Xcode:
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts
>
> I also recommend you get rid of Fink. Possibly depending on your
> $PATH, MacPorts ports may inadvertently link with bits that were
> installed by Fink, which will be confusing and probably break
> things later. Move /sw elsewhere. Use MacPorts to install whatever
> software you had installed with Fink.

Oop, I snipped too much from your problematic machine info above:

On Oct 2, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Joe wrote:

> Below is the info of the problematic machine:
>
> OS X 10.4.10 Intel
>
> MacPorts:
> 1.520
>
> Fink is installed under /sw:
> 0.27.6
>
> Xcode:
> 2.2
>
> gcc --version
> i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc.
> build 5247)
>
> ls /usr/local
> bin                             mysql
> etc                             mysql-5.0.45-osx10.4-i686
> include                         sbin
> lib                             share
> libexec                         var
> man

Also move /usr/local out of the way. I can't see what's in your /usr/
local/lib, but compilers look there by default, and we do not know
how to inform the compiler not to do this, so things you install with
MacPorts or Fink or manually may automatically link with things in /
usr/local/lib, which for MacPorts at least we definitely do not want.

I see you have MySQL in /usr/local. I recommend you install MySQL
with MacPorts as well.