port -u upgrade outdated

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 3 17:51:20 PDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 19:27, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> Le 4 oct. 07 à 02:11, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :
>
>> On Oct 3, 2007, at 18:54, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>>
>>> there is still a minor problem : waste of disk space
>>> since each old version remains on the disk, whereas they are
>>> completely useless :-/
>>>
>>> do you see what i mean ?
>>> well, is there some guys who work on macports, who would like to
>>> look at this problem, to allow us to make a script which
>>> automatically updates macports without waste of disk space ?
>>
>> Then uninstall those old versions if you do not want them anymore.
>>
>> $ sudo port -f uninstall foo @1.2.3_0
>>
>> Or, when you do the upgrade, use the -u switch to tell MacPorts
>> you would like it to uninstall the old version for you.
>>
>> $ sudo port -nfu upgrade foo
>
> do you mean that i should put
> port -nfu upgrade outdated
> in my script ?

I cannot assist you with your script; all I can do is tell you how
MacPorts works. And I'm saying that if you have "foo 1.2.1_0"
installed and active, and you say "sudo port -nf upgrade foo" to get
1.2.3_0, then you will have 1.2.3_0 installed and active, and 1.2.1_0
installed and inactive. If you would like to remove 1.2.1_0, you have
two options. Either you can use -u when you upgrade: "sudo port -nfu
upgrade foo", or after you upgrade, you can uninstall: "sudo port -f
uninstall foo @1.2.1_0".